Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Returning the Favour.

I used to be a carebear, i would mine for a few hours maybe go ratting here and there but the thought of losing a ship to a vastly more experienced player is something that didn't particularly appeal to me.

On the 5th of August our alliance was war decced.

7 hours later i lost my mining barge, to a vastly more experienced player, and it wasn't that bad at all. Of course i was still fairly carebearish at this point and waited till the hostiles disappeared from local before undocking my second mining barge and heading for the same belt to mine the same rocks..

As expected the swift return of the war targets resulted in the loss of my second barge, which lead me to think about alternate ways of making ISK.

I am a very "instant gratification" type of person, if i do something i want the result the be in my wallet upon completion, and like everyone i would like the result to be fat paycheck, so i hit up google about ways to make money and avoiding the rick rolls, account hacks and anything that would be a breach of CCP's rules, I kept seeing the same thing;

Trading.

Now the idea of putting out a bunch of buy and sell orders is not my idea of instant gratification, quite the opposite in fact, but there were heaps of people claiming it's how they got rich, so i thought i would give it a shot. In the time it took me to alt tab back into EVE i gave up on the idea realizing i would have to train up multiple trade skills to make it worth while.
So there i was, sitting in my only remaining ship (A Badger mk 2) having lost my raven and scorpion as results of the war. Then i thought I would check out the market just in case i saw something i could easily move for profit and that's where it all started, having 2 accounts meant i could move multiple cargo loads across different regions for what (to me at least) seemed like insane amounts of profit.

I know people in 0.0 with carriers doing 10/10's solo making billions a week would laugh out loud at the small time profit of a newbie in a Badger and Bestower but alas the instant gratification was there, and i was making infinitely more money then i was mining or missioning.

Unfortunately to those interested in taking up trading as a profession like i did i will not be telling you the best trade routes i know, or the easiest ways to find them as that would be crippling myself financially as well as leaving myself open to pirate attacks, though the answer is there if your willing to put the time into it.
Once you get the hang of it, there is potential for even the most newbie players to make 10's of millions of isk an hour.

Now at the start of this, i mentioned that i was a carebear in the past tense implying that i am no longer and a few of you out there are probably thinking "this is pretty carebearish there is very little risk if you trade in high sec" and yes that is true!
But the money i make trading goes into fitting all kinds of ships to "thank" the guys who got me into trading ;)

And hopefully in the next few days i'll be able to post the kill mails or tears of those i "thank" personally.




No comments:

Post a Comment